Getting divorced can be emotionally and financially draining. Trying to navigate the legal process can be challenging and all of the decisions that you are faced with can quickly become overwhelming, especially if you are unprepared.
However, knowing the steps to take before getting divorced can make the process less stressful and more equitable. In short, it can help to make the transition from being married to becoming single again as smoothly as possible.
For most people the first step in getting a divorce is contacting an attorney. An initial consultation can provide you with all the tools and resources to start the process. It will allow you to feel confident in the fact that you’ll have the support of an experienced lawyer going forward.
Consider the following tips on how to prepare for divorce from people who have successfully navigated the process.
Top Tips from Successful Divorces
When it comes to preparing for divorce here are some of the most popular tips:
- Do your due diligence on how the divorce process
- Collect, compile, and organize essential documents.
- Choose an experienced and competent professional to provide advice and guidance through all of the proceedings.
- Take responsibility and be an active participant in divorce negotiations.
- Treat divorce negotiations with your spouse like a business transaction.
- Get emotional support and learn how to “lower” your emotional reactivity.
- Focus on the big picture; decisions made during the divorce process will affect both you and your children in the short- and long-term.
Depending on your personal situation, your “essential checklist” for divorcing could include some additional steps such as:
- Deciding on your living arrangements,
- Thinking about getting a job if one spouse does not already have one,
- Preparing for a new parenting arrangement if you have underage children.
Being organized before starting the divorce process and staying that way will help keep you from getting overwhelmed. It can increase your chances of receiving a more equitable outcome.
It’s Never too Early for Step One
Preparing to get divorced is a lot easier if you know what you’re facing. Once you and your spouse have made the decision to separate and divorce, the first step is to talk to an attorney.
Everyone’s situation is unique as is our approach to every divorce. Buncher Family Law has a distinct style through our Clear Legal Strategy approach. We understand that, in addition to the emotional impact that ending a relationship has on an individual, the actual divorce process can be challenging. The purpose of the initial meeting is to provide answers to such questions as is it better to file for divorce first then transform your questions into a Clear Legal Strategy.
When you are ready to proceed, contact our office to schedule a consultation.