Alimony/Spousal Support

Alimony (also known as spousal maintenance or spousal support) is generally a monthly or bi-monthly payment by one spouse to the other to help meet his or her financial needs. Unless your spouse earns a similar income as you, spousal support is likely a significant issue in your divorce case. The lower earning spouse will often need assistance to provide necessities and meet essential legal obligations. Also, during a divorce or legal separation, one household becomes two. This makes it more expensive to maintain the same standard of living enjoyed during marriage.


Two Types of Alimony or Spousal Support in California

Temporary support: This is generally set according to state guidelines while the divorce is pending.
Permanent support: The court generally looks as the length of marriage, the relative income and expenses of each spouse, and sets spousal support at a level calculated to help both parties approximate the standard of living held during marriage.


Orange County Divorce Lawyers Protecting Your Rights

Often there are complex issues in determining a spouse's correct income for the purposes of calculating support. A spouse may be working less diligently or not working at all to deflate income, in which case a higher income can be "imputed." In other cases, a spouse may be receiving job benefits, such as a company car that should be treated as income, or he or she may be operating his/her own business and running personal expenses through the business to decrease apparent income. At The Buncher Law Corporation, our divorce attorneys have the knowledge and experience necessary to identify these issues and fight for the correct support orders. We also assist unmarried clients with obtaining palimony.


Recommended reading about Spousal Support:

  • The Difference Between “Temporary” and “Permanent” Spousal Support
  • How is Temporary Spousal Support Calculated?
  • What is the Duration of Temporary Spousal Support?
  • Protect Yourself By Documenting Voluntary Support Payments

Contact us for a consultation